Monday, August 19, 2013

Freezer Meals on a Budget

SUCCESS!!!  That's how I feel about my weekend!  I am tooting my own horn because I DID IT!  This weekend I made 25 freezer meals for $200. You read that right, 25 meals for $200.  Not only did I make 25 meals, they are homemade, healthy, and mostly organic!  I chose a few recipes from happymoneysaver.com and added a few of my own.  In addition to my meals, which are the main dishes, I also prepared a few sides and snacks.

Here's the menu:
Salmon Chowder (1)
Potato Leek Soup (2)
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo (4)
Sweet & Sour Chicken (2)
Chicken Teriyaki (4)
Beef and Broccoli (2)
Spicy Chicken (2)
Cilantro Lime Chicken for Tacos (3)
Honey Lime Chicken (4)
Chicken Stir Fry (1)
French Bread Pizzas (snacks)
Cornbread Muffins (12, sides)
Cheese & Bacon Cornbread Muffins (12, sides)

You can probably see a main theme.  Mostly chicken and mostly dishes served with rice.  I used our leftover salmon and made chowder, I had lots of potatoes from last week so I made soup and the beef was in the freezer from the last order from our ranchers.  The rest I was able to buy at Costco, hence all the chicken dishes.  And our Costco has an AMAZING selection of organic produce.  The few items I couldn't get at Costco or have at my house I bought at Fred Meyer (which has a great natural foods section).

These meals are mostly organic.  I wish I could say they are 100% organic, but there were a few ingredients that were not organic.  Our salmon, beef and chicken are wild/grass fed/free range organic.  All the veggies are organic.  My soy sauce is gluten free and has no gmo's.  I buy gluten free partly out of habit (childhood allergies) and because it has less ingredients than regular.  I love my pink Himalayan salt and garlic seasoning, which I used in a few recipes, even though they are not labeled organic.  However, there are no preservatives in them.

Hopefully you get the chance to try out a recipe or two this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment